Thursday, March 24, 2005

 

Music Survey

Sorry Lynn, I really should read my notes (and post) more often. I just noticed. :)

Music Survey

1. Total amount of music files on your computer: 213 Megs, I have Musicmatch. I used to have much more but a while back my PC went belly up and wouldn’t boot to windows. Couldn’t think of anything on it that needed saving, so formatted and reinstalled Windows XP. When installing the software I got to Musicmatch and THEN remembered all of my music files I had paid for to download at a buck each. Unfortunately I hadn’t burned very many to CDs.

2. The last CD you bought was: Lee Ann Rimes Greatest Hits and a Cher’s Greatest Hits. Like Lynn posted, I usually like to buy those types of albums because so few regular ones I really like all the music. Gloria Estefan is one of the exceptions that I tend to like most all of the songs on her albums.

3. What is the song you last listened to before reading this message? Dragostea Din Tei – This is the recent popular web thing with the guy bouncing around lip sinking to a song, this is the song, so shoot me, I like this song. The girl at work mentioned she couldn’t find the MP3 of this song, which I immediately piped up and said I had downloaded three versions of it at home. This was immediately followed by me hanging my head in shame over ADMITTING I had three versions. She’s laughing and says, “So, you don’t think you’re a geek, huh?” I am not a geek, I just have eclectic tastes in music.

4. Write down 5 songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you:

It would be easy to note songs I like listening too, and the likes are really eclectic. I don’t like rap, but love listening to Gangsta’s Paradise. Some comedy like Ray Stevens Haircut Song or Mississippi Squirrel Revival. Manheim Steamroller or Trans-Siberian Orchestra. The Macarena to Save A Horse Ride A Cowboy. When I listen to music I do it simply because I like the songs, not because it’s a specific type of music or from a certain singer or band. I can’t do anything that comes close to dancing, but have Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) by C&C Music Factory downloaded. There would be so many it would be impossible to just pick 5 of them as special over any other.

Means a lot to me is a tough one, so would leave a lot less to choose from. There are a lot songs that the moment I hear them immediately remind me of someone in my past. Escape (The Pina Colada Song) reminds me of Brenda Polotta and Freddie Aloi who noted that her name and that song rhymed and it always made him think of her. I Just Wanna Stop begins with “When I think about those nights in Montreal” which will immediately remind me of a girl from 7th grade who was born in Canada and the dark haired really sweet girl that also sat beside me in the same class, and I have no clue what their names were. So I guess meaningful would have to be those that remind me of a person that meant something to me.

One: Still – The Commodores: First girl I really dated. The words do seem to portray a screwed up relationship, which I guess ours was, especially after I started dating her best friend at the same time. It was okay, they both knew. Of course she eventually got tired of that, dumped me, then I dumped her friend who I really didn’t like anyway (and who’s name I don’t even remember today).

Two: Running With The Night – Lionel Richie: The first girl I really loved. I never told her that and always regretted it.

Three: It’s All Coming Back To Me Now – Celine Dion: The ex-wife.

Four: My Heart Will Go On – Celine Dion / Weekend In New England – Barry Manilow: Tracy. Anyone that knows the words would figure why they would fit. Ironically, sadly, our relationship will end the same way it began, living far apart.

Five: Saturday Night – Bay City Rollers: My roller skating days. Mid to late 70s was the peak of the roller skating craze and I was there on Saturday afternoons with the hundreds of other kids. Hundreds of kids slamming their skates against the floor to the beat of that song, especially the points that they spell Saturday night. Brings a warm fuzzy feeling about the happiness of my mid-teen years. I was actually quite social then, what the hell happened?

There is only one song that ever directly impacted my life. Second Home By The Sea – Genesis. This is a six minute song that is almost entirely an instrumental. At the very end of the song however is the following:

Images of sorrow, pictures of delight
things that go to make up a life
endless days of summer longer nights of gloom
just waiting for the morning light
scenes of unimportance like photos in a frame
things that go to make up a life

As we relive our lives in what we tell you

For whatever reason those words inspired me to write poetry. Over the next 12 years or so I wrote hundreds maybe, don’t really know. Most everything I wrote was personal, or was about or to someone close to me. I stopped a long time ago, though I know I did do something recently that was short in this blog. I long ago tossed everything I had, everything I’ve ever written or drawn. I wrote one thing to my mom that she kept in her pocketbook for a long time that my brother might have. Toni told me recently she kept a picture I drew for her years ago. Maybe the painting I did that hung in my GM room is still in GemStone, Tracy once told me when she saw that she realized I had a heart after all, or something to that affect. There was one short thing I wrote sometime in the late 80s that oddly wasn’t about anyone, but after all this time I still remember it.

Dark mysterious eyes haunt me, from them I cannot hide
And though on the verge of recognition, the answer stays locked inside
How can they seem so familiar, if I’ve never seen them before
Unless it’s not the past I see, but what the future holds in store

What three people am I passing this baton to and why? Three? The only people that I even know that read my blog are Tracy, Lynn, and Dickie. Since the other two have already done this, I guess that leaves my brother. Dickie (he prefers to be called Richard now, but I never will since he called me Bubba as a kid) this gives you an excuse to post again.

Comments:
Hey, he's alive!

Just the other day I had given up the ghost and removed your blog from my Favorites List due to inactivity.

Good to hear it was just a temporary bout of neglect.

Wonder if that same voodoo would work for getting Melissa to post. ;)

Wish there was a way for you folks to work things out. You are both good people. ::hugs::
 
*gasp* you removed me from your favorites after I added you to my links here? I finally started working on shepville.com and moving stuff to there. I thought it would be neat to do some flash stuff, so I'm doing it with Dreamweaver instead of Front Page.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?