Sunday, June 26, 2005

 

Vegas Vacation

Back from my week in Vegas. Flew first class for the first time, the added room makes it worth it. Other perks - you get your drink in a glass instead of a plastic cup (and free booze if you want that), two packages of peanuts instead of just one, and some garlic toast things with chipotle dip. The trip in was uneventful until we reached Vegas and the turbulence hit, but we had been warned ahead of time and told to buckle up. The stewardess who hadn't buckled up and was at the time perched on the ceiling from a sudden and drastic downward elevation change told us this was normal for Vegas. Ah-huh. Next came my first flight the pilot had to abort the landing. The stewardess came on and said sudden turbulence had blown us off course for the runway. I'll say, had I been able to roll my window down, I could have placed an order at a drive-thru at a McDonalds we passed. The pilot shortly afterwards corrected her and said the reason was the traffic ahead of him had not cleared quickly enough. He didn't mention said traffic was a Toyota, Ford, and two taxis on Flamingo Drive. After another bumpy 15 minute scenic air tour of Vegas he managed to find the runway without incident.

Vegas is full of old people who get there on their own, whether or not they can actually afford to lose the money they do. Why though do families bring Grandma along? I saw a half dozen people rolling grandma down the sidewalk in her wheelchair and an oxygen tank, and it was 109 degrees outside. And then there was the unending supply of parents with a four year old who had to each take a hand and stretch out as wide as possible, and move as slow as possible. Shouldn't they be at Circus Circus and not be allowed to leave? And I found out much to my amazement that a family of five can take up as much space as the MGM Grand.

It was a good week. Trip home was uneventful, though they gave us the same toast and chipotle dip thing. I think they just got a huge supply of those toast things and they probably have a shelf life of 6 months. It's back to work tomorrow.

Comments:
It's true. Vegas and Phoenix are notorious for their turbulence. Has to do with the hot air currents and surrounding mountains. Some of my worst flight experiences have been during stopovers at those two airports enroute to visit my dad in Georgia when he was living there. I remember one return trip on a business flight into Phoenix where we couldn't take off because of the 117 degree weather. The planes were unable to generate enough airlift to get over the mountains. Had to wait for cooler evening temperatures. That was one miserable trip.

The last time, after opening my eyes and praising my good fortune to still be alive, I swore I'd never book another flight anywhere near Vegas, even if it means two stopovers rather then one.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?