Thursday, September 22, 2005

 

PvP

There are two factions in WoW, the Horde and the Alliance, neither of which is allowed through game play to talk/trade/group with each other. Normally you can't just attack the other faction if you see them. However if you engage any NPC with a PVP tag or another player, then you are flagged yourself for PVP and can be attacked for about 5 minutes. Vtash and my little gnome were out in Horde territory having just finished a quest and we see a Horde player that's tagged. I'm 27 with a 27 succubus pet and he's 27 with a 27 bear pet. The Tauren was 20 and currently engaged with the wildlife there. Needless to say there wasn't really any combat involved, the poor cow was just slaughtered when we quickly decided to attack him. I felt a twinge of guilt but Vtash noted he deserved it. This of course meant we were flagged in the middle of Horde territory but my gnome has very short legs and I figured it would be much easier for us to gate back than walk all that way so that wasn't much of a problem. I did note when we were safe at home that someone in the Horde could have thought we deserved it too. Vtash asked, "Why? What did we do?". Good point, I guess. :)

I remember the beginning of EQ1 in the Oasis the dark elves could not buy food and drink from the vendors because they were evil. They would beg players in OOC for food and drink so they didn't have to go all the way back to Neriak. Many players wouldn't trade with them in the beginning because I think there was much more thought to roleplaying, and I was one of those that thought, "Starve! Die of thirst! You evil stinking pig dropping!" Unless of course it was a female dark elf, damn they were cute. That was actually the first female character I played when I wanted one of the evil necromancers I made it a female dark elf and found it much much easier to get food and water so I didn't have to go all the way back to Neriak. *cough*

I have always thought from a roleplaying sense that your race shouldn't HAVE to make you evil and there's no reason why you couldn't be a nice vegetarian troll. EQ2 I think did a good job in having a way for you to move to the other side. Even though players don't really use that in a roleplaying way, EQ2 did an excellent job within the game design of how it was done and how the NPCs reacted to you.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?